1BEGINNINGwhere SB/STH starts 某人/某事開始的地方 starting at a particular place or position 自,從,由
How do you get from here to Colchester?
從這裏到科爾切斯特怎麽走?
an empire stretching from Syria to Spain
版圖從叙利亞一直延伸到西班牙的帝國
The hotel is on the main road from Newport.
賓館位於從紐波特出來的主路上。
Ernest twice ran away from home.
歐内斯特兩次離家出走。
2DISTANCEdistance away 一定距離之外 used when talking about the distance between places or people to mention one of the places or people 離〔表示距離〕
We live about five miles from Boston.
我們住在離波士頓大約五英裏遠的地方。
a large Victorian house only fifty yards from my workplace
離我工作場所只有50碼的一幢維多利亞式大房子
He was standing only a few feet away from me.
他站在離我只有幾英尺遠的地方。
3AFTERwhen STH starts 某事物開始的時間 starting at a particular time 從…開始〔表示時間〕
He’ll be here tomorrow from about seven o'clock onwards.
明天大約7點鐘以後他會在這裏。
We’re going to tell her on her birthday – that’s two weeks from today.
我們打算在她生日那天告訴她——離今天還有兩個星期。
From now on, I will only be working in the mornings.
從現在起,我只在上午上班。
housewives who work from morning to night (=without stopping)
從早忙到晚的家庭主婦
4BEGINNINGoriginal condition 原先的狀態 used to say what condition or situation something is in before it changes 從〔表示改變前的狀態〕
translating from French into English
從法語翻譯成英語
When she arrived, things just went from bad to worse (=got even worse)!
她到了之後情況簡直越來越糟!
5from place to place/house to house etcEVERYWHEREto a number of places 到處/挨家挨戶等
She went from house to house asking if anyone had seen the child.
她挨家挨戶詢問是否有人見過這個孩子。
6from day to day/from minute to minute etcTIME/HOW LONGused to say that something continues or keeps changing 一天天/一分分等
My health is improving from day to day.
我的身體在一天天好轉。
7vary/change etc from something to somethingto change or be different according to the person, situation, time etc involved 因人[情況,時間等]而異
The treatment will vary from patient to patient.
治療方法因病人而異。
Examples from the Corpus
vary/change etc from something to something• The lowerlimits of normal for serumuricacid are arbitrarily defined and may vary from one lab to another.• The prices vary from circuit tocircuit, but as a rule they range from £30 for a session to £300.• Like telephonecharges, they can be varied from day to day and between evenings and rush hours.• Since then virtually every small printer, and most large ones, have changed from metal tofilm.• Only Limavady changed from unionist tonationalist hands, and Magherafelt moved from no overallmajority to nationalist control.• The change from flute topiccolo or viceversa occupies only a few seconds.• Also, because it is a naturalproduct, its textures may vary from one batch to the next.• The duties and powers of deansvary from university touniversity.
8LIMITrange 範圍 used to mention the two ends of a range 從〔表示範圍〕
from something to something
Prices range from £10,000 to over £100,000.
價格從一萬英鎊到十萬英鎊以上不等。
a place where you can buy anything from a handgun to a rocket launcher
從手槍到火箭發射器都能買到的一個地方
9HEREposition when watching 觀察的位置 used to say where someone is when they see or watch something 從〔表示看或觀察的位置〕
From the top of the hill, you can see for miles.
從山頂上可以看到很遠的地方。
There’s a man watching us from behind that fence.
有個男人在那道籬笆後面看着我們。
10REMOVEbeing removed 被移走 used to say where something is before it is removed 從〔表示移走〕
She pulled her chair away from her desk.
她把椅子從桌旁拉開。
Philip snatched the book from my hand.
菲利普從我手中一把奪過書。
He took a knife from his pocket.
他從口袋裏掏出一把刀。
Subtract three from fifteen.
十五減去三。
11absent 缺席的 used to say where someone would normally be, when they are not there 不在,沒來
The boy’s absence from class has been noted.
那個男孩沒來上課引起了注意。
I have a brother, but he’s away from home at present.
我有個哥哥,但他現在不在家。
12COME FROM/ORIGINATEorigin 來源 used to say where something was or who had it before you obtained it 來自,源於
I got the idea from Colin.
這個主意是科林幫我出的。
Do you know where the information came from?
你知道這消息是哪裏來的嗎?
Gray caught smallpox from his nephew.
格雷是從他侄子那裏傳染上天花的。
I’ll show you a short extract from one of our training videos.
我放一小段我們的訓練錄像給你看。
We usually buy our cheese from a shop in the market.
我們通常在市場裏的一家商店買奶酪。
You have to choose the right answer from a list.
必須從列表中選取正確答案。
13SENDsent/given by SB 某人寄出/給予的 used to say who sends or gives something 從
He had received a bill for nineteen dollars from St Peter’s hospital.
他收到聖彼得醫院寄來的一張19美元的賬單。
I had a phone call from John.
我接到約翰打來的一個電話。
You need to get permission from the owner.
你要取得物主的許可。
with lots of love from Elaine (=used at the end of a letter or on a card)
十分愛你的伊萊恩〔用於書信或卡片的末尾〕
14COME FROM/ORIGINATEplace of birth/work 出生地/工作場所 used to say where someone was born, where they live, or where they work 來自〔表示出生地、居住地或工作場所等〕
We invited speakers from all the regions.
我們邀請了各地的演講者。
Students from all faculties will have access to the machines.
各院系的學生都將可以使用這些機器。
There’s a man from the tax office on the phone.
有個稅務局的人來電話。
I’m from Yorkshire (=I was born in Yorkshire).
我是約克郡人。
15CAUSEcause 原因 used to state the cause of something 因爲,由於
mothers who are exhausted from all the sleepless nights
因連夜無眠而精疲力竭的母親
Death rates from accidents have been on the increase.
事故死亡率呈上升趨勢。
a patient suffering from stomach pains
胃痛病人
The community benefits from having an excellent health service.
這個社區因爲出色的醫療保健服務而受益。
16REASONforming opinions 形成觀點
a)used to say what made you form a particular opinion 根據
From what I’ve read, the company seems to be in difficulties.
據我所看到的,這家公司似乎處境困難。
It’s obvious from a quick glance that the plan has changed dramatically.
We have spent a lot of time looking at the problem from all angles.
我們用了很多時間從各個角度來考慮這個問題。
17CONSIST OF/BE MADE OFmade of STH 由某物做成的 used to say what substance is used to make something 由〔表示原料〕
Bread is made from flour, water, and yeast.
面包由面粉、水和酵母做成。
a cabinet constructed from chipboard
膠合板做的儲藏櫃
18STOP HAPPENINGAVOIDprevented 阻止的 used to say what is prevented or forbidden 妨礙;不準
from doing something
These problems have prevented me from completing the work.
這些問題使我無法完成工作。
people who have been disqualified from driving
已被取消駕駛資格的人
Tourist coaches will be banned from entering the city centre.
旅遊車將禁止進入市中心。
19harm 傷害 used to mention something bad that you do not want to affect someone or something 免遭
ways of protecting yourself from attack
保護自己免受攻擊的方法
I will keep you safe from harm.
我會保護你不受傷害。
20COMPAREdifference 區别 used when you are comparing things or people to mention one of the things or people 與…(不同)
She’s quite different from her sister.
她和她姐姐很不同。
Our two cats are so alike, I can never tell one from the other.
我們的兩只貓很相像,我向來就無法區分它們。
Examples from the Corpus
from• I was only there from 11:30 to 1 o'clock.• Mr. Schultz poured himself a drinkfrom a carton in the fridge.• I think they come from a prettywealthy family.• He'll be here tomorrowfrom about seven o'clock onward.• Deathratesfromaccidents have declined.• Orders have come in from all fifty states.• Sandi looked at me disapprovingly frombehind her desk.• I had to take that new toy away from Corey.• I speakfromexperience.• Have you heard anything from Gary yet?• Diane pulled her chair away from her desk.• From his voice I'd say he was born somewhere in the North of England.• Actually, Ron's from New Orleans.• I've gained a lot of weight this winterfrom not doing any exercise.• It's about an hour and a halffrom San Jose.• Seattle is about 100 milesfrom the Canadianborder.• From the first time we met, I knew we would be good friends.• Hi Dot, it's Marie from the SeniorCenter.• From what I understand, you all did pretty well on the test.• New York cheddarcheese is different from Wisconsin cheddar cheese.
from morning to night• For the first time in my life, I enjoyed the work I did from morning to night.• My life was still busyfrom morning to night.• They fussed and fumedfrom morning to night.• They will stayeven-temperedfrom morning to night.• Rushing, rushing, trafficfrom morning to night: it goes on twenty-four hours a day.• They laughedfrom morning to night: We were taught by Jessie.
went from bad to worse• In the face of severelocalcompetition, matterswent from bad to worse.• Things went from bad to worse.• It went from bad to worse as the heavens opened and turned the circuit into one hugepuddle.• As 1931 went from bad to worse the possibility of another marriage began to seem her best hope of salvation.